12.18.2014

Burlap Silverware Pouch

These burlap silverware pouches are quick and easy, but make your tablescape look fabulous. Everyone raved about my table setting at Thanksgiving, if they only knew how easy it was!


I got my burlap from the clearance section at JoAnn. It has gold dots on it, which I could not pass up, but you can use plain, or any pattern you please.


Start by laying your silverware out on a piece of cardstock. You are going to create a pattern so that you make sure that your pouches are the correct size for your silverware. The measurements do not have to be perfect, I literally eyeballed it. When laying them out, the length will probably be perfect for the size of the paper, then use a ruler to draw a line making sure to leave enough room on both sides of the silverware to run a seam.


Next, use your ruler to make a second strip the same size. Hold that strip over the silverware and move it to the perfect place for the pocket to start. Mark that size and cut it. Use tape to attach it to the bottom of your long strip.


Next, use your pattern to trace onto the burlap the amount of pouches you need, then cut them out. I used a dressmakers marking pencil to trace my patterns.


Once you have your burlap pieces cut, iron them. Yes, you can iron burlap! It will be much easier to sew them, and they will look nicer.

Next, detach the small piece of the pattern you taped on. Use that as a guide to turn your burlap up and make a pocket. Sew a seam up both sides of the pocket. The perfect seam size is about 1/4 inch, but you can make it any size. I used gold thread in mine to go with my gold dots, but you could use a color that contrasts and matches the rest of your table décor.



Another option is to use tacky glue or hot glue. I ran out of gold thread and used tacky glue on the last two pouches. It worked perfect.


Your burlap silverware pouches are ready to be added to your tablescape stash!

My Stash of Materials:

Burlap
Thread
Tacky Glue

No comments :

Post a Comment