12.29.2014

Christmas Card Display

I love getting Christmas cards.  During the entire month of December, I find myself racing to the mailbox to see what Christmas cards have come.  I love the pictures, the letters, the fancy cards and most of all, hearing from family and friends.  It's one of my favorite Christmas traditions.  Of course, I want to display my treasured cards, so I made a display. 

First, you need a frame.  I had a 20" x 24" frame I wasn't using, but honestly, it could be any size.  The bigger the frame, the more cards.  The smaller, the more the cards will be smashed together collage style. Mine are pretty smashed together, so if that isn't a look you like...go bigger.  Take note of where you'd like to hang it too.  I hung mine on our entry wall where our wedding picture usually hangs.  It barely fit in the space.  Another option is to lean it on a piece of furniture against a wall.  That would work perfect.

 

If your frame has the metal flaps that you bend over the backing to secure into place, you will need to bend them backwards, over the frame.  This way they won't catch anything.  I used a hammer to gently flatten mine.  

Next, you will need a staple gun and some jute.  Take a look at the frame and get an idea of how many strands of jute you'd like.  I did 4.  How they are spaced is entirely up to you.  You could space them so they fit each card perfectly.  If that is what you would like, then allow at least 7 1/2" of space.  This is the size of a standard Costco greeting card, which are usually the biggest.  If you prefer to have them all sort of blended together, just eyeball it.  Or you could always take the length of your frame opening, divide that by the number of jute lines you plan to use and then use a ruler to mark off where each jute line will be placed.  I chose the eyeball it plan. 

 

Tie a knot in the end of the jute and secure it to the frame with staple gun.  Place the staple on the jute so the knot is on the outside of the frame, then gently pull the jute so the knot butts up against the staple.  If necessary, tie a double knot so it can't pull through.

 

Pull your line across and staple the jute into place on the other side.  Pull it pretty tight.  When the weight of the cards is added, it will droop.  Now you clip the jute - with plenty to spare - and tie a knot as close to the staple as possible.

Repeat all the way down the frame.

 

Make sure you clip the ends of the jute so it doesn't hang off the sides when displayed.

 

Your Christmas Card Display is complete and ready to show off all the gems your family and friends send you.  At the end of the year, I like to punch a hole in all my cards and use a binder ring to make a little book.  I have every card I have ever been sent.  I keep them in a basket and bring it out every year.  It is fun to look back and the cards and see how families have changed.  Babies are born, kids get older, people get married, pets come into lives, even hair styles change!  I love adding Christmas cards to my Christmas stash.  


My Stash of Materials:


Frame of choice

Staple gun

Jute


No comments :

Post a Comment